ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM OF UZBEKISTAN’S NEW ENERGY POLICY FORMULATION
Murat Kenisarin, Ph.D. (Techn.), Deputy Director, “Akadempribor” Scientific & Production Association at Uzbekistan Academy of Sciences (Tashkent, Uzbekistan)
Elaboration of a long-term energy policy is one of the state’s main strategic goals in its efforts to maintain the country’s socioeconomic development. Such a policy can be formed first by examining and analyzing the recent trends in the country’s fuel and energy complex (FEC) evolvement, and then by defining and evaluating the tasks to be solved in the near future. As for scientific investigations in this sphere, we strongly believe that at the present stage of economic development they should primarily address the problems the industry is currently facing and should focus on searching for appropriate ways for resolving them. Therefore, in this paper we shall try to designate the most urgent problems the country’s FEC will have to deal with in the next few years.
When elaborating Uzbekistan’s new energy policy for the period until 2020, the following factors should be taken into consideration:
- reduction in gross domestic product (GDP) energy intensity;
- FEC technical modernization and priority development as compared to the national economy in general;
- creation of conditions facilitating full transition from command and administrative management methods to a system of market relations;
- protection of socially vulnerable strata of the population during FEC restructuring;
- reduction of thermal contamination of………………..